Tuesday, January 9, 2007
THE ATTACK ON HIROSHIMA
0812 local time, 6 August 1945:
1. American B-29 bomber 'Enola Gay' approaches Hiroshima at an altitude of about 9,357 metres, and begins its bombing run
2. At 0815 it releases the atomic bomb 'Little Boy'
3. The aircraft then performs a sharp, 155 degree right turn and dives an estimated 518 metres
4. The bomb explodes with a force of 13 kilotons at a height of approximately 576 metres above the city
5. About a minute later the first shock wave, travelling at about 335 metres per second, hits the aircraft